Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Run With Me?

It has been on my heart for months now to start a running club. Actually, the thought first crossed my mind a few years ago. But that was it. The thought came and went with no significance, much like many thoughts (i.e. "I should paint my toenails today." "It would be cool to go to Europe." "I think I'd really like to be a dog groomer, but I wouldn't want to get bit." etc.) Until recently.

I'm about to seemingly go off on a tangent, but hang with me because it's relevant:)

In my last post, I shared how I've been struggling to juggle my role as a working mom, when my heart longs to be home with my daughter. This isn't the only struggle that I've been experiencing lately. God has really just been allowing me to be wrecked-relationally and financially. I have thought a lot about Job lately. Though I would not compare my circumstances to the depths of his, I honestly have thought, "God, who do you think I am, Job?!"

But here's the cool thing...there is purpose in the turmoil I have been experiencing. I know that, without even knowing what it is. I can feel God refining me. I can sense God moving. I can see that he is shattering barriers in my life by way of preparing me for something. It's that same kind of feeling when you have a particular word right on the tip of your tongue. So close I can almost taste it. And I know from personal experience that it is often at the end of our selves that we hear and see the will of God. I'm there.

Throughout the stress that I have been under, I have had this nagging desire to start a running club. In my stubborn protest against not being Job, I have pushed it aside again and again. Sometimes I would even tell God, "You move first, then I'll move. You give me more time, then I'll look into starting one." Yeah, I don't think God works like that.

Is this the calling I have been sensing? I don't know. But, if nothing else, I want to continue breaking barriers (disobedience in this case) that would keep from being used by God. So, here's my first step.

What is a running club? It is two or more people that meet for the purpose of running. Two or more? TWO or more? That shouldn't be hard. I just need one more person to make it official:) "Official" running club things will develop in time, like a name, a website, a schedule, etc. For now, I am just generating interest. I am looking for other women (Sorry men, I'd like to avoid getting stuck with just me and some creeper running around Clarion County together!) who run and would like company. It doesn't matter if you are fast, slow, experienced, out-of-shape, have never run before, run marathons every day, etc. If you are that person, let me know. If you know someone who may be interested, get us connected.

My dream for this club is to be a way to connect with other women. I have a girlfriend who loves running as much as I do. When we hang out, we don't go to lunch or go shopping or sit and drink tea (do other female friends do that?). We run and we talk. We talk about all kinds of things. She doesn't know Christ. What a great connection to have with her. I want that with more women. Running is my passion, why can't it be my ministry too?

Well, I guess that's it. That's my heart. Okay, I'm off for a run.

3 comments:

  1. Spectacular! I had a feeling that our measly little list of ministry ideas was too short. And now, look what God has done in you! I hope it takes off like crazy and you see Him do things in you and yours beyond your wildest imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it isn't weird that I'm commenting on your blog, but I feel like we've hung out more than we actually have because we both have a favorite person in common :-) I wish I lived nearer to you because I would TOTALLY be in!!! I LOVE to run! hmm..maybe I will need to make a treck to clarion once in awhile. :-) So happy you are seeing the Lord working thru the pain and tough stuff--exciting!!!

    Sarah Defibaugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been suffering (experiencing?) the same niggling thought, the same "its so close I can almost name it" feeling with God. Although I'm not near the Job side of things, its more in the "will you live this out now, even when things are busy and changing and feeling good" way. I think this is good, although uncomfortable. Sort of like running (for me, at least); good and uncomfortable all at the same time. But a person can learn to like uncomfortable, I've learned.

    Sorry to have this so long, as though I'm posting again on your post. And I can't run with you, there's the small issue of 650 miles between us (c'mon Sarah, you're waaay closer!). But perhaps I can start one too. Not that it helps you at all, other than to know you're influencing me :) 'Cause you are.

    Keep on influencing, I could use it.

    ReplyDelete